Governor Signs Controversial Executive Order Forcing LGBTQ Onto Private Businesses

family
October 19, 2017Oct 19, 2017

LifeSite News reports that North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper signed a controversial executive order earlier today making sexual orientation and gender identity a protected class in his state. According to LifeSite, this means that private businesses will be expected to comply with the law.

The order applies to all facilities in state government and the provision of government services, including programs and services concerning public safety, health, and welfare. This means that in order to be awarded a state contract or grant, a business will have to comply with the transgender order. If they are opposed to this sort of measure, following their conscience will mean serious setbacks for their businesses. 

In an agreement to settle a lawsuit on Wednesday, a consent decree was filed letting transgender persons use the bathroom of their choice.

In short, the decree dictates that transgender people, under state law, can use public facilities that coordinate with what they believe to be their "gender identities." 

This recent settlement rolls back a bill that claimed all people are required by law, when using public facilities, to use the bathroom that aligns with the biological gender given to them on their birth certificates.

Governor Cooper, a Democrat, claimed that the decree is a major step forward in creating legal protections for transgender people. 

“Earlier this year, I said there was more work to do to protect against discrimination and make North Carolina a welcoming state,” Cooper said. “Today’s executive order and consent decree are important steps toward fighting discrimination and enacting protections throughout state government and across our state.”

US News writes that the measure to encourage people to use the bathroom according to their biological gender began in March. Some businesses and sports event pulled from the state in protest in the year after it enacted the "bathroom bill" known as HB 2. Activists said that transgender people are facing "discrimination" and "threats to their safety" under the new law.

“For too many reasons, it is not in our state’s best interest to remain in drawn-out court battles that still linger because of HB 2,” Cooper, a Democrat, said in a statement, according to US News.

On their website, the ACLU hailed the settlement as a defense of human rights but claim that "attacks on the LGBTQ community" will continue. Many defenders of the bill, however, would say that the ACLU and the so-called the LGBTQ community are a small minority of citizens, forcing a cultural taboo into law and onto a community who by and large oppose it. "After two years of being attacked by their very own state government,

"After two years of being attacked by their very own state government, trans North Carolinians are moving closer to obtaining partial victory," reads an article published on the ACLU website. It continues, "For the past two years, North Carolina lawmakers have prioritized attacks on trans people. Our lives, our bodies, our ability to exist in public have been compromised amidst rhetoric and official policy that falsely and dangerously situates us as inherent threats to the privacy of others."

It continues, "For the past two years, North Carolina lawmakers have prioritized attacks on trans people. Our lives, our bodies, our ability to exist in public have been compromised amidst rhetoric and official policy that falsely and dangerously situates us as inherent threats to the privacy of others."

In recent news, an Oscar-nominated actress criticized Hollywood for their hypocrisy over President Donald Trump.

Next: Oscar-Nominated Actress Criticizes Hollywood for Their Hypocrisy Over TrumpOct 19, 2017