BREAKING: Trump’s Campaign Undergoes Major Changes As Top Official Resigns
On Friday morning, Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort offered his resignation to Trump and his campaign. This move, while shocking was not completely unexpected. Earlier this week, Trump hired Breitbart’s Steven Bannon to serve as campaign CEO.
“This morning Paul Manafort offered, and I accepted, his resignation from the campaign,” Trump said in a written statement. “I am very appreciative for his great work in helping to get us to where we are today and in particular his work guiding us through the delegate and convention process. Paul is a true professional and I wish him the greatest success.”
Manafort had been dogged by recent revelations that he had received large amounts of money from Ukrainian politicians. According to Fox News, Manafort had received approximately $12.7 million dollars in undisclosed payments from ex-President Victor Yanukovych’s party between 2007 and 2012.
Manafort denied the allegations however he felt the scandal was taking away from Trump’s campaign and drawing attention away from the many egregious scandals that have marked Hillary Clinton’s campaign. “My father just didn’t want to have the distraction looming over the campaign and quite frankly looming over all the issues that Hillary’s facing right now,” Eric Trump said.