Amid Controversy, Deputy FBI Director Steps Down

politics
January 29, 2018Jan 29, 2018

FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe stepped down on Monday, according to two sources who discussed the situation with NBC News. The FBI's number 2 will remain on the payroll until he is eligible to retire with full benefits in mid-march.

He was originally not intending to resign prior to March, but he had accrued enough leave to resign immediately. According to a source close McCabe, he's "exercising his retirement eligibility."

The source also characterized McCabe's decision as "stepping aside."

News outlets are conjecturing that the retirement comes as a result of ongoing tensions between McCabe and the White House. McCabe has been at the center of conflict over the FBI investigation on possible Trump campaign collusion with Russia.

"Earlier this month, the Washington Post reported that after Trump had fired FBI Director James Comey, he met with McCabe in the Oval Office and asked him who he voted for in the 2016 election," reported NBC.

McCabe briefly served as the acting director of the bureau after Trump fired ex-FBI chief James Comey. He was already expected to retire, but the announcement came sooner than expected.

CBS News reported that a source near him said he was forced to retire early. 

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/958035905268387840

McCabe had served at the FBI his entire career. He started there in 1996, serving under former directors Robert Mueller and Comey.

During the White House press briefing, Sarah Sanders said the White House had no part in McCabe's early retirement. Sanders said, "The president wasn't part of this decision-making process."

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/958053075339698176

This story will be updated as more details come forward. 

Next: After Jay-Z Slams Trump Again, the President Fires BackJan 29, 2018