Paul McHugh, a psychology professor at Johns Hopkins Medical School, has often found himself in the criticism of the left. Over the years, he has been defending his position about transgenderism, claiming that it is a psychological problem rather than a biological one.
Recently, McHugh authored a statement for the American College of Pediatricians. The statement condemned gender reclassification, claiming that transgenderism in children leads to child abuse.
It said, “The American College of Pediatricians urges educators and legislators to reject all policies that condition children to accept as normal a life of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex. Facts- not ideology- determine reality.”
The statement included eight arguments about why gender reclassification is harmful. Here is a summary of those points.
1. Human sexuality is an objective biological binary trait: “XY” and “XX” are genetic markers of male and female, respectively- not genetic markers of a disorder.
2. No one is born with a gender. Everyone is born with a biological sex. Gender (an awareness and sense of oneself as male or female) is a sociological and psychological concept; not an objective biological one.
3. A person’s belief that he or she is something they are not is, at best, a sign of confused thinking. When an otherwise healthy biological boy believes he is a girl, or an otherwise healthy biological girl believes she is a boy, an objective psychological problem exists that lies in the mind not the body, and it should be treated as such.
4. Puberty is not a disease and puberty-blocking hormones can be dangerous. Reversible or not, puberty- blocking hormones induce a state of disease – the absence of puberty – and inhibit growth and fertility in a previously biologically healthy child.
5. According to the DSM-V, as many as 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls eventually accept their biological sex after naturally passing through puberty.
6. Pre-pubertal children diagnosed with gender dysphoria may be given puberty blockers as young as eleven, and will require cross-sex hormones in later adolescence to continue impersonating the opposite sex. These children will never be able to conceive any genetically related children even via artificial reproductive technology.
7. Rates of suicide are nearly twenty times greater among adults who use cross-sex hormones and undergo sex reassignment surgery, even in Sweden which is among the most LGBTQ – affirming countries.
8. Conditioning children into believing a lifetime of chemical and surgical impersonation of the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.
As expected, this statement caused quite the controversy among liberals. The American College of Pediatricians was called a “hate group masquerading as pediatricians.” Some said that McHugh wanted to “distort science and spread transphobic misinformation.”
What do you think about this? Do you agree with the statement? Let us know what you think on Facebook! Recently, a toy came out that encourages children to explore transgenderism, and the support behind it is maddening.