'God's Not Dead," "Soul Surfer," and "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" actor Kevin Sorbo interviewed with The Gospel Herald recently, and throughout the talk he offered five reasons why Christian and faith-based movies are getting better all the time.
1. Faith films of the past decades were "very cheesy" and "poorly written," but that has improved dramatically in recent years.
2. Movies of the '70s, '80s, and '90s also suffered from terrible acting, but now they're attracting Hollywood talent like Jennifer Garner (of "Alias," "Daredevil," "Juno," and "Dallas Buyers Club" fame) and Melissa Joan Hart (arguably known best for "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch") who seem unafraid to act in some Christian films.
3. Christian movies these days are not as preachy as they used to be. Today's generation really doesn't like to be told what to believe in by religious people, but Christian movies are getting better at subtly attracting people searching for answers about life and the after-life.
4. Hollywood is realizing that as they increasingly get more crass with their productions, Christians, religious people, and moral people crave faith-based alternatives.
5. The rise of the independent movie industry means you don't have to be a big studio production to get the talent, skills, money, and exposure needed to be successful in theaters.
Do you agree with him?