10 Interesting Facts About Texas
Here are a few interesting facts about The Lone Star state:
1. It's illegal to swear in front of a corpse.
2. Chuck Norris and John Wayne were made honorary Texas Rangers. The Texas Rangers are the oldest law enforcement agency in America and were created in 1823 by Stephen Austin.
3. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco and was crafted by a pharmacist, Charles Alderton.
4. Texas was an independent nation from 1836 – 1845.
5. In 1850, camels were imported to Texas to help in the Indian Wars.
6. In Galveston, it is illegal to let a camel run loose on the beach.
7. In 2003, the Legislature passed a law requiring students to recite the Texas flag pledge along with the U.S. flag pledge.
8. The city of Slaughter, Texas has never had a homicide.
9. 90% of the world’s helium is located in the ground under Amarillo.
10. The King Ranch in Texas is larger than the state of Rhode Island. It is comprised of 825,000 acres (1,289 square miles).